Thursday, July 15, 2010

Teaching Best Practices: Grade Transparency

"Though I don't teach an online course (but allow students to check grades online), I see the strength in being transparent with grades so that students fully understand from the beginning how they are doing. In the past, the nurture in me dreaded taking grades on quizzes, tests, etc. where students did poorly (usually at the beginning), but I have found that letting students know early how they are doing (I tended to shelter them by deferring my taking a grade) has benefited them the most. This will create less stress for faculty at the end of a semester as students should fully understand how they "earned" their grade."



Posted by: Seth J. Batiste, M. Ed.
Assistant Professor
Developmental Studies
Lone Star College - North Harris/GreensPoint

No comments:

Post a Comment