Sunday, November 8, 2009

Data Card Activity by Professor Glenda Williams


In Psychology 2317, the majority of my students are nursing majors with a few others majoring in social work, psychology, or education. The first concepts that I teach are types of data (qualitative, quantitative, and ranked) and levels measurement (nominal, ordinal, and interval ratio). It has been a challenge to engage students in grasping the necessary terminology but I have developed a lesson that has proven to be a winner in student engagement and learning!

This semester, I took 10 different photos of family members and former students (with their permission) and I added a few sentences of description about each person including many different data points. Then I included instructions for students to go through the statements, list as many data points as possible and label type of data and level of measurement for each.

I did not do any lecture or explanation of the concepts, but allowed students to use their textbooks and work together in groups. I made copies of the ten different individual photos. The class formed groups by finding others who had the same photo.


After allowing time for them to make their lists and label the data, each group reported and I listed their findings on the board using the examples to correct any misconceptions and to draw generalizations regarding the concepts.

Here is what happened.

1. The energy level in the class rose as students began to work together actively rather than just listening to lecture.

2. Students who had read the chapter before class reported greater understanding since they were actually applying the concepts to real examples.

3. Every single student participated, even those who had not done the reading before class.

4. At the end of class I revealed that the people in the photos were my family and I felt that students saw me as more of a real person.

5. I had the opportunity to point out that while we usually think of just the numbers when we look at statistics, that the whole purpose of data gathering and analysis is to serve individuals.

6. My own enthusiasm increased as I had fun creating something new for class.

I shared this idea with my colleague Lynda Dodgen who used the strategy in sociology earlier in the semester with similar results.

Lynda says: “I am sold on this teaching strategy and I appreciate you sharing the idea with me. I found that it created an environment more conducive to learning. There was excitement as the students left that day, and it seems to be lasting.”

She adds: “I have seen a higher rate of retention this semester. I have been amazed at the numbers taking their first exam and turning in required work. I have noticed that the exam grades are higher than in past semesters. “

Using profiles and case studies captures the imagination of students so that they become intrinsically motivated to get involved with the material. Terminology is taught by application rather than by rote memorization from a vocabulary list.

Interested in knowing what the profiles looked like? See one below.



This is Eric. He is 6 years old and beginning the first grade. His birthday is in April. He loves to play baseball and ride his bicycle. He has an extensive vocabulary and knows the difference between nocturnal and diurnal animals. At the age of 4 months he went to the ER via life-flight due to a head injury, but he has fully recovered. He wears a size 10 t-shirt. He has 3 living grandparents. He weighs 60 lbs and is tall for his age.




1. List as many data points (observations) as you can find in the above information. You may take the data from the picture or from the text. Data points or observations could be numerical measures or categorical measures that can be observed about the individual. Examples would be age and gender.

2. Determine whether the data are qualitative, quantitative, or ranked.

3. Determine the level of measurement (measurement scale) for each data point.

Posted by: Professor Glenda Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment